Living an African Dream

What does it mean to live an African dream? Is it owning a painting by Nelson Makamo? Or having an in-depth understanding of “Things Fall Apart’ by Chinua Achebe?

Perhaps an African dream is to Africans what an “American dream” is to Americans. Why does it feel like it should be more than rocking an African print attire?

Maybe an African dream is mere ‘ubuntu’, a lifestyle, or a new mindset. The internet gave us a platform to be part of the global community. Now, African creatives and innovators are able to promote their ‘African ideas’ without compromising their authenticity.

We stand for Africans that are living their versions of the African dreams in a way that inspires the whole continent. Below we have selected Africans that are promoting Africa to the world.

Black Coffee

Black Coffee is the first South African artist to win the BET Award. He introduces our unique sound to the world. He has collaborated with international artists like Alicia Keys, Usher, Drake and partied with Beyoncé and Jay Z.  Coffee in 2017 he was ranked by Forbes Magazine as one of the bankable artists in the African continent. Born in the dusty streets of Mthatha in the Eastern Cape to the world. What a dream!

Trevor Stuurman

Trevor Stuurman is an award-winning contemporary multimedia visual artist. He is globally recognised in photography, blogging, and styling. Stuurman has traveled all over the world because of his outstanding taste in fashion. In 2012 Trevor won the ELLE style Reporter Search award.

Trevor uses art to represent authentic South African stories. In 2018, he documented former US president Barack Obama’s visit to his ancestral land of Alego, Kenya.  Born in Kimberley, in the Northern Cape. Can you believe he’s just 28 years? The African dream is valid indeed.

Master KG

The ‘Jerusalema’ hitmaker has recently become a global success. The song Jerusalema has been streamed more than any other on Shazam – way ahead of hits by famous international artists like Drake and Chris Brown. It is top of the streaming charts in South Africa on a larger streaming service, Spotify, and it has raked in hundreds of millions of YouTube video hits and over 320 million impressions on TikTok.  The Limpopo born artist is now Mzansi’s ambassador to the world.

Trevor Noah

Trevor Noah is Africa’s biggest export. The multi-award-winning comedian and host of The Daily Show is living the (maybe the American dream) African dream. Born A Crime, a memoir about Trevor’s upbringing in Mzamsi is New York Times best-selling book. Noah has interviewed one of the biggest names in politics and the entertainment industry.  The Jozi street couldn’t hold him back from living his African dream.

An African dream is not a one-way street.

It differs for each person. For others is conquering the world and for some in putting the spotlight on African soil.

What’s your African dream?

Cheers!

Your wingman in becoming a better man,

Anele

(*Image source here, here, here and here)

9 thoughts on “Living an African Dream

1. nsibandeluyanda1 says:

My African dream is accepting who I am and embracing my beautiful melanin because once I’ve done that I believe that I can conquer any obstacle I may encounter.

2. Nduduzo says:

It is realizing your dreams beyond expectation and being able to let it shine by helping others realize theirs through yours… As the saying goes, A FRIEND IN NEED IS A FRIEND INDEED.

3. Andreson says:

Having being raised outside of Africa, I’m not sure I know what an African dream is. After returning I had to do so much unlearning and reconnecting with my roots. To everyone I was doing everything backwards but I had no choice. One thing I’ve come to realise is that we all have a dream to succeed so no matter where I’ll be, my dream will always remain the same.  I’ve always dreamt that what ever I end up doing, I want to put Africa on the map. Currently I’m part of a Beatbox community which started in South Africa  a few years ago and now has included more African countries. Before this we didn’t even know other Beatbox⁩ers existed on the continent. As an art form that is so rare, I’m happy that weve have managed to find each other and now we have been working towards collaborating and competing alongside other bigger communities around the world. This has been a dream come true for us because finally African Beatbox⁩ is beaing put on the map. To me this has been an African unity driven by the love of this artform.

4. bongzmswane says:

Living your dream does not mean having Material stuff. But rather having a skill and talent that will open doors in the present time and future. Yes we need money to fulfill our dreams. But ever heard of a GIFT? Now that’s a dream. We all have different gifts that we either use and put it to waste. Imagine if we all used our gifts then we would have dreams accomplished. I to this day live my dream by helping others and by improving my lifestyle daily. Having a dream is a sign of a visionary person who wants to positively grow beyond certain measures.

5. bongzmswane says:

Living your dream does not meaning having Material stuff. But rather having a skill and talent that will open doors in the present time and future. Yes we need money to fulfill our dreams. But ever heard of a GIFT? Now that’s a dream. We all have different gifts that we either use and put it to waste. Imagine if we all used our gifts then we would have dreams accomplished.

6. www.tidimalo.freeliance180 says:

It’s a blessing to pave your country with greatness and gratitude. It is amazing to be known globally for the great work each they do and it is beautiful.

7. Tony says:

Things fall apart, a classic novel by this Nigerian writer, I have read and taught it countless times and it’s quite relevant to today’s world, especially here in Africa

8. fundisani28 says:

I really can’t wait to be one of these names, to be recognized globally by my work. I can’t wait to tell my stories through Films, music and writing. I can’t wait to be named as one of the greatest actors and receive my Oscar. This truly is a blessing and them paving a way for all of us .