Let’s all agree that the time for Africa is now. That’s an undisputed fact, the spotlight is on the African continent. It’s been the case before Trevor Noah hosted The Daily Show, and way before we all screamed ‘Wakanda forever’! Even before Beyoncé released her ‘Black Is King’ visual album.
The entire universe is inspired by our unique creativity. Laduma Ngxokolo is the epitome of African excellence. MAXHOSA AFRICA is a South African knitwear brand founded in 2012 by Laduma Ngxokolo. This is how his African dream began
Laduma’s initial vision was to create a modern Xhosa-inspired knitwear collection. It was the desire to explore knitwear design solutions that would be suitable for amakrwala (Xhosa initiates). As a person who has undergone the process, Laduma felt that he had to develop premium knitwear that celebrates the traditional Xhosa aesthetic.
In an interview for the Mail&Gaurdian he says “When I read his book Long Walk to Freedom, I focused on the part where he went through his initiation journey. He says it was liberating to be introduced to his forefathers as this gave him confidence as a man. Once he learned about the wars that happened in the beautiful mountains of the Transkei, he told himself he would uphold the name of his people and uphold the belief that humanity and community is key in everything we do. ’Im proud to have been on this journey with Nelson Mandela University … I will make sure I document this special journey in a book one day.”
MAXHOSA designs showcase the beauty, culture, language, and aspiration of the Xhosa people, evolved and amended in a modern way. As a current design context, it translates into a form that resonates with multiple fashion markets globally.
Laduma’s clothes are worn by celebrities such as Beyoncé and Alicia Keyes. Who would have known? An African boy from the dusty streets of Eastern Cape to the world.
Dreams are valid, indeed!
MAXHOSA AFRICA has received numerous achievements, look below:
• 2010 International Society of Dyers and Colourists Design Award
• 2010 International Representation Award
• 2011 Marie Claire Prix De Excellence Best Emerging Designer Award
• 2012 Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University Rising Star Award
• 2014 Premium International Best Emerging Designer for SS15 Menswear
• 2014 Africa Fashion International Emerging Designer of the year award
• 2015 Vogue Italia Scouting for Africa Award
• 2015 Yoox.com Who is Next Dubai Award
• 2016 Design Indaba Most Beautiful Object in South Africa Award
• 2016 Emerging Designer: Eastern Cape Entertainment Stars Awards
• 2016 Most Stylish Designer: SA Style Awards
• 2016 Fashion Designer of the Year Southern Africa: ABRYANZ Style and Fashion Awards
• 2017 Pride of Africa: Africa Fashion Week Barcelona Awards
MAXHOSA AFRICA has captured the hearts of many fashion lovers and media from South Africa, London, Paris, Amsterdam, Oslo, Berlin, and New York. Recently, MAXHOSA Africa opened a store in V&A Waterfront in Cape Town.
If this is what an African dream looks like, there should be no reason to stop YOU in the pursuit of your happiness and your dreams. The sky is the limit.
Bro, what would be your dream life there was nothing stopping you?
“What you think about, you bring about”
So start thinking (and dreaming) big. Write down your goals, be precise, and read them every day. keep them on your bathroom mirror, save them as a screensaver on your phone. Put the energy out there and make small daily changes – after all – one of the secrets to success is found in your daily routines.
Your wingman in becoming a better man,
(*Info and images are shared from https://maxhosa.africa/ and https://www.instagram.com/maxhosa/?hl=en)